I was looking at quilts on the internet and saw Christina Camelli of A Few Scraps' gradient quilts.
The blue one really stood out. It reminded me of the beginning of Star Wars somehow. But then my mother suggested it looked just like DNA electrophoresis, and since I am science minded, I liked that.
I was determined to make it. I asked Christina permission and if she had any measurements. She sent me what she had and gave her blessing. I finally decided to reverse engineer the measurements from the photo of Christina's quilt above by printing it out and drawing a grid over it. I determined what finished size I wanted, and then estimated the width and length of the blue rectangles from how showed up in each 12"X12" grid square (to scale). It worked pretty well!
I bought a bundle of matched, graduated blues online and some plain black Kona and set to work making rectangle strips that approximated the photo. Then I hung them on my design wall and approximated how much black to use between and below. It wasn't super easy, but it wasn't hard.
For the backing I added a large strip of blues just to add interest.
This is the whole quilt. It turned out just like I wanted it. Hope you enjoy! Thanks again to Christina.