Friday, March 27, 2009

A Twinkle of Stars




My mom just bought me the book Stars by Magic by Nancy Johnson Srebro. It was perfect to make some stars for the patriotic quilt. I love all three of her "by magic" books and many of the things on this blog are made from patterns I found in them. Her "magic" is using only cut squares and rectangles to make all the blocks. So the diamonds you see here started out as rectangles.

Sharp-eyed blog followers will notice that the blue star on the lower left is the one I featured in this post as unintentionally wonky. I lived with it for a few weeks, but eventually I couldn't stand it and I had to fix it!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your stars are so creative. Made me realize there is a lot more that I can do with a star. I'm off to try some things thanks to you. Happy quilting.

Kerri said...

what fun stars!! i know you do everything by hand, which still amazes me. how long does it take you to do one block. most of your blocks are so detailed.

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

These stars take about three hours, including cutting. I highly recommend Nancy Srebro Johnson's "by Magic" series of books, I make a lot of things out of those three books!

Thearica said...

I love her books too and have them all! I have made some of these stars for a block swap with a quilting forum and love how easy they are when they look so hard!