Friday, March 27, 2009

A Twinkle of Stars




My mom just bought me the book Stars by Magic by Nancy Johnson Srebro. It was perfect to make some stars for the patriotic quilt. I love all three of her "by magic" books and many of the things on this blog are made from patterns I found in them. Her "magic" is using only cut squares and rectangles to make all the blocks. So the diamonds you see here started out as rectangles.

Sharp-eyed blog followers will notice that the blue star on the lower left is the one I featured in this post as unintentionally wonky. I lived with it for a few weeks, but eventually I couldn't stand it and I had to fix it!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your stars are so creative. Made me realize there is a lot more that I can do with a star. I'm off to try some things thanks to you. Happy quilting.

Kerri said...

what fun stars!! i know you do everything by hand, which still amazes me. how long does it take you to do one block. most of your blocks are so detailed.

ilovebabyquilts said...

These stars take about three hours, including cutting. I highly recommend Nancy Srebro Johnson's "by Magic" series of books, I make a lot of things out of those three books!

Thearica said...

I love her books too and have them all! I have made some of these stars for a block swap with a quilting forum and love how easy they are when they look so hard!